Tuesday 22 April 2014

The Aroma of Christ

  For we are the aroma of Christ to God
 among those who are being saved
 and 
among those who are perishing,  
to one a fragrance from death to death, 
to the other a fragrance from life to life. 
Who is sufficient for these things? 
For we are not, like so many, 
peddlers of God's word
but 
as men of sincerity, 
as commissioned by God, 
in the sight of God 
we speak in Christ
 2 Corinthians 2:15-17 (ESV)

My flesh longs to be accepted and loved and honored by men (people), to get awards and titles and be rewarded with money for what I do. When I'm rejected or despised, my flesh attempts to win over that person that is rejecting me, to do so for my sake, to gain back my self-respect and the love I should be receiving for the good things I think that I do... and that is consistent with the world's way, but it isn't consistent with God's way.

As a person of sincerity, speaking truly about things of God and Christ (not as the many who want to draw attention to themselves, or want to make money out of it) to be honorable before God and men (people) that truly we are all perishing, amongst those who are being saved I am a "fragrance of life"
... and amongst those who reject it I am a "fragrance of death".

I think understanding this fact keeps me on track with speaking "in Christ" because it isn't to promote me, to win me awards or attention, quite the opposite. If I am truly presenting the truth about our condition here, the vileness of our fleshy natures confronts the holiness of God. Those who love this world more than they do God will reject me just as much as they do God, and that is exactly what Jesus said would happen.

So when I get rejected and hated, 
I should rejoice
and not get angry or hurt by it. 
It reveals that I am right on track 
with God, 
and that what He says
is true
...in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome, however spam will be removed.

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

If a comment is mocking or otherwise unfruitful it will be removed. If a comment is completely irrelevant to the post it likewise will be removed. If the post contains an audio or video teaching and it is obvious that the commenter has not listened to the presentation the comment may (or might not) be posted and I probably won't reply.