Sunday 29 May 2011

Is God REALLY Sovereign?



Has God created us for a purpose? Or did He leave everything up to our decisions and chance? That is a question that comes up time and again on message forums, and I must admit that I've joined in the fray many times. Ma alerted me to a conversation at a forum I once was a part of, and I am thankful that I am relieved of the duty to have to wrestle there anymore, lol.

Here is an excerpt posted by Mr. White at the Watcher Meetup Forum:

Did Peter have the free will not to deny Christ trice? Could Peter have done anything other than what the Lord said he was going to do, even if Peter wanted to (and clearly he wanted to)? Is it possible for God to be wrong or make a mistake or is God sovereign over all things? Did Judas have the option of not betraying the Lord? Did Pharaoh have free will to let the children of Israel go out of Egypt (Ex 11:10)? Did Mary have a free will choice to name her Son any name she wanted (Luke 1:31)? Did Paul make a free will choice to accept Jesus as his person savior? Did the Lord say, "For you did not choose me, but I chose you."
Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor? Is it possible for man to direct his steps (Jer 10:23)?


See the full discussion here

That post sums the power, majesty, and complete sovereignty of God very nicely. What God does in this world, and in our lives, is not left up to our random choices and fallen desires and flimsy ever changing whims of what we think we want. It is in God's perfect and powerful hands to do His will which is perfect.



2 comments:

  1. Well I erased my comment:(

    Anyhoo,


    I was listening to Matt Slick's radio show the other day (highly recommend) and he was debating an atheist.

    It seemed like the atheist understands election more than most believers do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check it out, Ma. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome, however spam will be removed.

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

If a comment is mocking or otherwise unfruitful it will be removed. If a comment is completely irrelevant to the post it likewise will be removed. If the post contains an audio or video teaching and it is obvious that the commenter has not listened to the presentation the comment may (or might not) be posted and I probably won't reply.